HomeAboutCook It UpProgressive LivingFacebookTwitterEmail

Friday, October 15, 2010

Goal Setting with God

"May he give you the desire of your heart and make all your plans succeed."
Psalm 20:4

Successful people are willing to make sacrifices and put in the time of preparation that unsuccessful people aren't willing to do.  Below are 6 steps to designing purpose for your life. 

Step 1 -- Determine your present position
Step 2 -- Be specific about what you want
Step 3 -- Look for God's promise
Step 4 -- Ask God to help you
Step 5 -- Identify the barriers
Step 6 -- Create a step-by-step plan

Now you may be thinking, "This is a lot of work. It's going to take time." You're right, it will take time. That's why 95 percent of Americans have no written goals. A recent Harvard study showed that only 5 percent of Americans have written goals and many of them are among the highest earning people in the nation. You can either drift through life or you can be directed through life by taking the time to think through where God wants you to be.  Ah, the key -- where God wants you to be. -- Rick Warren
 
I have forever been a goal setter.  It is how I survive.  Graduate with honors - did it.  Run a half marathon - check.  Create a blog - done!  But rarely do I write my goals down.  A sticky note here - follow up with so-and-so, and a journal entry there - Dear God, I would like to...Some have been fulfilled, and some remain, meandering in my head of daydreams.    
 
I sat down last night with a clear head, blank paper and pen, and made a list of what I want to accomplish.  They range from short-term to long-term desires.  I posted this plan on my bathroom mirror as my "big picture" strategy.  Having my goals staring at me each morning will be a great reminder of where I'm headed, what it will take to get there, and how grateful I will be when each desire is met.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by April Showers