HomeAboutCook It UpProgressive LivingFacebookTwitterEmail

Monday, October 4, 2010

EAT nola

I was led to EAT nola almost two years ago and it remains my favorite brunch option in the Big Easy.  This eclectic restaurant is tucked away in the heart of the French Quarter marking the intersection of Dumaine and Dauphine.  Its quaint corner location and large ceiling-to-floor windows allow for a sunny and cheerful atmosphere during brunch hours.  EAT's menu is described as cajun and creole, but those are not the words I would use to describe EAT.

It does not serve your typical jumbalaya, red beans and rice, or beignets.  Instead, the menu boasts of fresh ingredients and creative ensembles.


Eggs de Provence
 Among many options, the brunch menu serves eggs in three fashions -de Provence, Dauphine, and Dumaine.  I am still dreaming of the Eggs de Provence I ordered Sunday morning (for the second time).  Served in a hot iron skillet with a cream and butter seasoned sauce, it will make you come back for more -- and I have.

I casually asked the waitress, without appearing to beg for the recipe, "I taste rosemary in this dish; what other seasonings are in this unbelievable sauce?  Oregano?"  She hesitated, put her hands up as if "I will never tell," and mentioned something about lavender before she quickly walked away with my card.

The Chef, Jarred Zeringue, opened EAT in 2006, and uses fresh, local ingredients.  EAT serves weekend brunch, and lunch and dinner daily (closed on Monday).  While the lunch menu also offers a portion of the breakfast menu, the night menu is a whole new ballgame, offering flatiron steak, barbeque shrimp, redfish filet, pork tenderloin, gumbo, crawfish pie, and even a burger.  I've heard the fried green tomatoes are his specialty, but I have failed to order them yet.  The blue cheese and fig torte is an appetizer among the unusual menu list.

I can guarantee that whatever time of you day you visit, and whatever you order, it will not disappoint. 

Visit EAT's website at http://www.eatnola.com/





No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by April Showers