HomeAboutCook It UpProgressive LivingFacebookTwitterEmail

Monday, April 25, 2011

Two books, One purpose

I am reading two wonderful books, Calm My Anxious Heart by Linda Dillow and One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp. I alternate chapters each day. Both books center around gratitude.  Eucharisteo.  In the final moments Jesus Christ shared with His disciples before He knew that He would willingly lay down His life on our behalf, "He took bread, gave thanks, and broke it and gave it to them...”  In the original language, “gave thanks” is written eucharisteo. He gave.  His life.  For us.  Eucharisteo.

In Calm My Anxious Heart, Linda Dillow recounts her experiences in Eastern Europe ministering to women about Christ and helping them form secret and dangerous meetings to spread the word. One day when Linda was back in the US, a woman (part of the ministry) visiting from Europe, Eva, came to visit Linda. She and her husband have no home and live as gypsies with their 3 year old child traveling to spread the word. During their conversation, Linda said to her, "When you see all the modern conveniences here for mothers - washing machines, disposable diapers, baby food in jars - how do you feel? Life for you is so difficult." Eva replied, "Linda, when I lived here in the West, I observed Western women. They have so many things that they don't need God."

I have started my Eucharisteo (Thanksgiving) list. The Thousand Gifts List - I'm only to twenty three. What a journey this will be. A few of mine...

2. The refreshing lift leaving Sunday church
3. The sound of my knife chopping vegetables for a meal
4. The feel of my favorite sweats after a long day
5. A baby squeezing his hand around my finger
6. A first kiss that leaves you smiling for days
7. The feeling in your arm after a really good tennis stroke
8. Taking my nieces to get snow cones
9. Picking out flowers for the mood I'm in
10. The helpful men who boosted me off today when my battery was completely dead

"He who sacrifices thank offerings honors me, and he prepares the way so that I may show him the salvation of God." Psalm 50:23

Maybe when I get to number 1,000, I'll have a different perspective of life, a more grateful one I hope.

http://www.aholyexperience.com/2006/11/gift-list-thousand-things/

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by April Showers