HomeAboutCook It UpProgressive LivingFacebookTwitterEmail

Monday, April 11, 2011

Monday Devotional

Lately I've asked God to change my perspective.  I'm in a rut, a bad one.  It goes something like this - "Ugh, I'm tired of looking at the same ole furniture. My bedroom needs a lift - wish I had a desk.  If I open this refrigerator one more time and see nothing but milk. This 7 year old Honda is not so fancy any more. This 30 minute drive to Clinton every day is wearing me out. I hope my boss isn't in today. Gosh, I've lived here for 9 years.  I'm tired of seeing the same ole people."

Nice thoughts, huh?  

How negative of me.  And how embarrassing. Since asking God to help change my outlook, He has been as simple as can be -- "Be content, my child.  Look at what I've given you. This world is not eternal."

One day we will enter Heaven.  What will God say to us?  I at least want to be able to face God and say -- "Father, I tried very hard, even though I failed many times, to live my life for you."  I would be ashamed to face God and know that I lived my life for new furniture, the next new car, a bigger house, the perfect circumstance, the best husband, impeccable children, a nice wardrobe, and anything else that is only of this world.

The following excerpts come from Calm My Anxious Heart by Linda Dillow.

What we are on the inside, what we continually think about, eventually shows in our words, actions, and even our countenances. Most of us base contentment on our circumstances, on our feelings, or on other people. However, true contentment is separate from our circumstances. Contentment is a state of the heart, not a state of affairs.

God fills our cup with our portion, what He determines best. Our portion is our physical and emotional being, our abilities, circumstances, roles and relationships. Sometimes we don't like what's been poured into our cup. Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane seeing the suffering he was about to endure pleaded, "Father, if you are willing, taking this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done." Luke 22:42 Christ grasped the handle of his cup and lifted it to God and said, "I accept my portion. Infuse me with your strength that I may drink." We can choose to accept our cup, our portion, or we can smash it on the ground and say, "This is not right for me. I don't like what you've put in my cup. I'll control life myself." Contentment is accepting God's control over all of life's circumstances.

"I am strong for all things in the One who constantly infuses strength in me." Philippians 4:13

Contentment occurs when Christ's strength is infused into our weak body, soul, and spirit. God infuses contentment into us through His word. As it seeps into our minds, it transforms us. Just as a cup of tea gets stronger when we give it time to seep, we become more content when we spend time in God's word and allow it to seep into our lives transforming us to be like him.
I pray today that God humbles us to know He is the pourer of our portion, and that no circumstance can overcome the depth of God's love for us - that we may find contentment in our hearts and Christ will beam from us where ever we may go.

Love,
Clare

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by April Showers